Thursday, July 14, 2011

Avocado & Black Bean Salad

A Perfect Dish for Summer!

I use any excuse I can to eat avocado.  In fact, I truly believe a woman can never have enough shoes or enough avocado. This recipe is perfect for the summer – fresh, healthy, and delicious (and full of avocado)! This is an edited version of Gina’s recipe at skinnytaste.   


What you’ll need:

  • 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed (I personally don’t like things too “beany” so if you leave out a bit – maybe a quarter cup that is perfectly OK!)
  • 1 ½ cup of sweet corn (I used frozen!)
  • 2 small roma tomatoes, chopped
  • 2 small avocados, diced
  • ½ cup red onion, chopped


For the dressing:
  • Juice of 3 limes (there are only 2 in the picture, because I apparently wasn't paying attention)
  • 1 ½ tsp of olive oil
  • 1 bunch of cilantro
  • salt/pepper to taste

Instructions:
1.  Thaw out corn
2.  Rinse your black beans and put them in your serving bowl.
3.  Put corn over beans in bowl
4.  Chop tomato and add over corn
5.  Dice avocado and add in the mix
6.  Chop half the red onion and poor over avocado
7.  Admire the pretty colors!!

Dressing:
 1. Squeeze the three limes with all your might to get the juice
 2. Put in 1 ½ teaspoons of olive oil
 3. Put a few leaves of cilantro
 4. Add pepper and salt to taste
 5. Wisk together
 6. Poor over salad
 7. Server and enjoy! 




Pair up with some grilled chicken and serve this up on the side!  And perhaps with a glass of Riesling on a warm, summer evening :)


As a side note, next time I won't be adding onion... it just doesn't need it!! 

Chowing Down.. I mean signing out ;)
-Domesticated Duchess

1 comment:

  1. Will definitely try this! I love avocado and beans!

    ReplyDelete