Thursday, August 4, 2011

Savory Spinach Dip

I love spinach dip.  It is one of the best appetizers and a great party food.  It serves plenty, and is delicious.  


It is really easy, but what I love most about it is that you can make it lower calorie/fat.  The original recipe calls for ONE CUP of Parmesan cheese, which i thought was too much, and added to much calories/fat.  I cut this down to 1/2 cup or at most 3/4.  Most times I make this, I sub out the cream cheese and sour cream for 1/3 the fat cream cheese and reduced fat sour cream.  And the best part is the reduced fat version is just as awesome as the "fully loaded stuff”!! However, I definitely recommend to not use reduced fat cream cheese, just 1/3 the fat.   

Also - if you like using cream cheese for appetizers try my favorite cream cheese garlic chicken poppers! Addicting and delicious!  

Please checkout my recipe index for more yummy recipes!! It will make you hungry :)

What you’ll need for the spinach dip:
  • 1/4 cup butter (half a stick)
  • 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, partially thawed
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese 
  •  garlic salt to taste
  • pepper to taste 

Step-by-step instructions:
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. 
2. Stir in the spinach

I probably needed to wait a little longer, but I actually made this literally 15 minutes before the gender reveal party so I was in a MAJOR rush!
3. Cook until tender.. about 5 minutes
4. Mix cream cheese and sour cream into the spinach mixture
5. When the cream cheese and sour cream are blended in, stir in Parmesan cheese and garlic salt.
6. Cook, stirring occasionally until thickened. About 10 minutes.
7. Serve Warm. You can also transfer to a crock pot and put on the LOWEST setting if you are having a party.  If you don't put it on the lowest setting, it may burn a bit.


If you're looking for other dips and appetizers try my Guacamole or Sausage Balls!

-Domesticated Duchess

6 comments:

  1. Yummmmm . . . this looks like another one I must try. I agree the neufchatel works well as a lower-fat cream cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is great! You can even sub out the sour cream for low fat greek yogurt to make it even more healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last time I made a spinach dip I used bagged spinach instead of frozen this looks way easier I had to put my spinach in a food processor (small one!) and it took forever! I'm going this route next time!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *awesome* added to my collection, SO refreshing to find a spinach dip recipe that doesn't have water chestnuts in it (they make me gag)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this super easy recipe. I actually switched out the sour cream for plain yogurt for an even healthier dip! It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this dish tonight and it was epic. I used Organic spinach and froze it overnight and added Mozzarella cheese. Excellent recipe!

    ReplyDelete