These are the perfect brownies if you like your brownies with a topping. I find they are best with either Cream Cheese Frosting or Milk Chocolate Icing.
Last night after dinner my husband had subtly hinted how delicious my brownies (with cream cheese frosting) were. I love my homemade brownies, but rather than cream cheese frosting, I much prefer a chocolate icing (what can I say, I am a choco-holic).
While my husband was out playing golf, I decided to run some errands. It was ridiculously hot outside. Welcome to summertime in Texas. Anyway, I knew he would come home tired and very hot. What a better thing to come home to then his favorite dessert?
Here is the recipe for the BEST brownies, with recipes for both types of frosting (depending on what your taste-buds fancy most).
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter softened
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder (NOT baking SODA!)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Grease 9-inch square baking pan (make sure to get the sides really well!).
Stir together butter, sugar and vanilla in bowl.
Add in eggs and beat into the mixture;
Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg mixture, beating until well blended.
Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan.
If you’re feeding a big crowd, double the recipe and bake in a 9x13! Increase the baking time just a few minutes!
Cream Cheese Frosting:
What you’ll need
- 1/2 stick of butter, softened
- 1/2 package of cream cheese, softened
- 2 sifted cups of powdered sugar (more depending on your sweet tolerance!)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- **If you double the recipe, double the ingredients!!
Put softened butter and cream cheese in bowl. Add vanilla and salt. Beat in sugar, ½ cup at a time. Enjoy!
All frosted and ready to eat!!
Alternate, Milk Chocolate Icing:
- What You’ll Need:
- 6 tablespoons of milk (skim, 1%, 2%, whole… whatever!)
- 6 tablespoons of softened butter
- 1 ½ cups of white sugar
- 1 cup of milk chocolate chips (you can use semi-sweet or dark chocolate, I just like milk chocolate for this recipe)
- Dash of Vanilla Extract
- *This is for a 9x13 pan, so if you use my recipe above, cut this in HALF! Or you can use it all, for extra THICK icing (this is generally my choice!)
Combine the milk butter and sugar together in a small saucepan and bring to boil
Allow to cook at a rolling boil for 30 seconds, and immediately remove from heat
Add chocolate chips and vanilla to the milk mixture, stirring frequently until the chips are melted
Poor IMMEDIATELY over warm brownies.