Sunday, August 14, 2011

MONSTER Cookie Bars!

I LOVE monster cookies, so when I found a recipe for monster bars [or monster cookie bars] I was so excited, I used the first excuse possible to bake them.  The excuse was that it was Thursday.  :)
When I think of monster cookies or monster cookie bars, for some reason I always picture these guys. I love the movie Monster's Inc... it's so darned cute.


WOW This post is popular!! Thanks pinterest!  Please check out at my recipe index for more delicious desserts and hearty meals - I promise you won't be disappointed! 

Anyway, back to the monster bars...


You'll need:
I spy M&M's!  They are hidden back there... oops!
  • 1 stick Butter
  • 1 cup White Sugar
  • 1 cup Brown Sugar
  • 1-½ cup of Creamy Peanut Butter
  • 3  Eggs
  • 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
  • 4-½ cups Quick Cooking Oatmeal
  • 1 package (12 Oz. Size) Chocolate Chips
  • 1 package (12 Oz. Size) of milk chocolate M&M's
**Alternative Option** I have made these before using mini reese's pieces instead of M&M's because my hubs prefers peanut butter to chocolate, so if you're a big peanut butter fan, this may be a good and delicious option for you :)


Step-by-step Directions:
1. Combine the butter and sugars, blend well






2. Blend in eggs and baking soda
with eggs
all smoothed out!


3. Add peanut butter in mix and blend until smooth


4. Then cup at a time, start mixing by hand the oatmeal. 


5. Slowly add in the M&M’s and chocolate chips (by hand)

pretty colors! 


6. Spread in a well greased 9x13 pan for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees– do not overbake! These taste better just a little on the soft side. Store in an airtight container

So much better than monster cookies! And so much easier!  If you're looking for another delicious bar to try please look try zesty lemon bars or s'mores bars are delicious! 

Also, I would love to hear from you!  Please let me know if you liked the recipe, if you changed anything up, or just say hi! 


-Domesticated Duchess

28 comments:

  1. THESE LOOK DELCIOUS!! I will be over this afternoon for a bite! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! We went to the river with friends over the weekend, so I made plenty of dessert... next time I make this I'll ship some to ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whelp.. I just took the batch out of the oven and it smells heavenly. Saw this on Pinterest btw! I used GF oats and peanut M&Ms instead of regular M&Ms. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carrowyn, I hope you like them! And isn't pinterest AMAZING!?? I'm very addicted to all the receipes and crafts. How did I ever find anything to bake before it existed??!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO GOOD! I've already made them twice this week - my co-workers said they taste like heaven!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I'm from Germany and found your recipe over pinterest! I just tried it but now i wonder how to get them out of the pan without braking them. So far they look great. can't wait to taste them:) great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What can you do if you can not have peanut butter? Can you leave it out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try sunbutter?

      Delete
    2. You could try Almond butter. I would add something, as this is an important ingredient.

      Delete
  8. Hey.. couple questions.. I don't have the quick oats I bought the old fashioned?! can they still be used or no? also about how many cups come in 12oz bags? I empty our bags into containers.. so let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! You have to be careful to take them out of the bag without breaking them! you can carefully cut the sides out once they are cool.

    I have only used peanut butter but you could try almond butter. It is a key ingredient, so I would not leave it out.

    You can used old fashioned oats - but it will have a diffrent flavor/texture!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need these in my life immediately! Can't wait to try this...pinning now!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. have you tried making cookies with this recipe?? I made these last night and pulled them out to let them cool. Only thing is I didn't realize they should have been left in for an additional 10 min or so. they were so doughie I wanted to make them again but I don't want to same thing to happen so I thought I would just shape them into cookies. Didn't know if you tried it or not.
    thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi christie,

      I haven't tried these as cookies because there is no flour, and these get kind of sticky. I also prefer bars because it is easier than using multiple cookie trays.

      I know Pioneer Woman has a recipe for cookies that are somewhat similar. Maybe try those?

      Thanks & Good Luck!

      Delete
    2. i make this exact recipe as cookies. it works, and I like it much better as cookies actually - a recipe that's been my go to for years and everyone loves. cookies at 350 degrees for 8-12 minutes depending on how large you make them. I double the recipe and then freeze cookies and they keep very well!

      Delete
  12. Thanks Kelly. I tried the cookies the other day and you are right they are great

    ReplyDelete
  13. A friend brought these too work and OH MY. I am in love. I love how PB packed they are. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are huge fans of these bars! I did find that they were a little wet for my liking so I decided to use 1 cup of PB instead of 1.5 cups. They were still delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Added Craisins and White chocolate chips instead of chocolate chips (because that's what I had).. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE this recipe! I never mastered the art of making monster cookies, but I can make a delicious pan of Monster Cookie Bars!

    I have made them in a 10x15 pan, so they're thinner--and it seems like there's more! LOL

    My daughter came up with the idea of using mini M&Ms and Reese Pieces baking bits.

    SO GOOD! Thanks for sharing this recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This recipe calls for oatmeal, but isn't it really oats? I don't prepare the oats as oatmeal before I begin to add them into the other ingredients, do I?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love, Love, Love these bars! Have shared with many friends. The only thing I alter is I only add 1 cup of PB. I find that 1.5 cups makes it too gooey for me. Thank you for this amazing recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Is the butter right out of the fridge or softened? room temp?

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE this recipe! I'm making it for my third time since finding it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks so cute and colorful
    http://jtrader.hubpages.com/hub/Gluten-Free-Homemade-Dog-Treat-Recipe-Ideas-for-Celiac-Disease-Gluten-Sensitivity-in-Canines

    ReplyDelete
  22. I made these in a 9x13 pan, but think I'll try 10x15 next time as they were quite thick. I like to use peanut M&M's:-). They do need to bake a bit longer to make sure the egg is cooked and that they hold together after they are cut. Thanks for a yummy easy way to have all these delicious flavors in a bar!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love, love, love this recipe!
    I have made it a few times and have started adjusting the PB to one cup as well as one cup of choc chips with the pack of M&Ms and gf oats. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete