Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Light Alfredo

I've decided to do a recipe swap with Tammi from Momma's Meals, where she makes one of my recipes and I try hers.  Then we blog about it and give each other our opinions on the recipes!

Of all Tammi's recipe I decided to make light alfredo, because Fettuchini Alfredo is my favorite italian dish except so much healthier! I made just a few adjustments to Tammi's recipe, and also decreased the amount because at my house it's just me and the hubs :)

This dish is really good if you are used to lower fat dishes - much better than the Lean Cuisine I normally eat to get my Alfredo-Fix.  It is less creamy than the alfredo sauce that Olive Garden serves, BUT it is drastically lower in fat and calories!   

You'll need:
2 servings of fettuchini pasta, cooked per package directions
1 tablespoon of butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced 
2 teaspoons of flour
1 tablespoon of cream cheese (fat free or 1/3 fat for even a healthier dish!)
1/2 cup of low fat milk
1/3 cup of parmesan cheese, grated
Salt and Pepper to taste
Reserve just under 1/2 cup of pasta water (to help thing out the alfredo sauce)

Step-by-step:
1. In a medium sauce pan, add butter and olive oil.  Allow butter to melt.
2. Once butter is melted, add minced garlic.  Let cook for about 2 minutes
3. Add flour and cook another minute.  You don't want the flour flavor, but need the flour for thickening.
4. Next, pour in milk, and whisk for about a minute.
5. Then add cream cheese and mix again, then add the parmesan cheese. Add a bit of salt and pepper.
6. After about 2 more minutes add the reserved pasta water to help thin it out.
7. Pour sauce in pasta and mix well. 

We ate the pasta with salad using low fat ranch! 



Domesticated Duchess

No comments:

Post a Comment