The hubs and I eat a lot of chicken. Chicken Ceasar Salad, Chicken Wraps, Grilled Chicken, basically a lot of chicken. I was strolling through my grocery store, when I found a box of Wanchai Ferry's Orange Chicken. The box was $3 and came with everything you need to make Orange Chicken other than the actual chicken itself.
I was excited to try it out! For dinner the next evening, I started to prepare the chicken.
The steps on the box were very easy:
1. Start cooking the rice (20 minutes)
2. Chopped up one pound of boneless, skinless chicken breast
3. Dip the chicken in the cornstarch coating
4. Over hot oil on the skillet, cook the chicken
5. Add the hot chili's, the orange sauce and water... simmer for 2 minutes
6. Serve with the white rice
My opinion: I actually *really* liked this orange chicken! I don't like my chicken with a lot of breading. This was just lightly breaded and the sauce was really good. The chicken was high quality and fresh which if you buy a frozen meal of chicken, it is never quite as tasty. It also has a lot less calories then a restaurant, but still is delicious! The price in my opinion was average. My only complaint is that it was not spicy at all!
The hubs opinion: He said it was OK. No better or worse than grilled chicken. However, he really likes chicken from Pei Wei and Panda Express (very breaded chicken). He said if I made it every two months that would be fine.
Also, the box said this should make 5 servings, for me and the hubs it was actually 4.
In conclusion: if you like lightly breaded, this is for you! If you prefer chicken that is fried or has more breading then you may want to skip this box and go for something else.
So maybe I'm not very domesticated by using a box to make my orange chicken, but I like to think of it as being a modern woman. You can't cook every meal from scratch, right? :)
- ► 2012 (69)
- Ben’s Bakery: Dog Treats! Peanut Butter Pumpkin
- Thrifty Hurricane Glass
- My First Food Review: Orange Chicken
- Intensely Chocolate Brownies with Chocolate Chips
- MONSTER Cookie Bars!
- Easy Pepperoni Rolls!
- Chocolate Chip Cookies - Rich, Thick & CHEWY!
- Savory Spinach Dip
- Tiny Space – Big Change: Bathroom Redesign
- ▼ August (10)