Sunday, January 8, 2012

White Chicken Enchiladas

True Life: I have never eaten an enchilada. I know it is a major shocker, especially since  I love Mexican food.  


If I go eat Mexican, I always order the same things: fajitas, quesadillas or taco salad with the creamy jalapeno or cilantro dressing.   However, when I saw this recipe I got instantly hungry and decided to make it for dinner.

White Chicken Enchiladas with Sour Cream and Green Chile Sauce... that's a mouthful - pun intended!

To make these White Chicken Enchiladas with Sour Cream and Green Chile Sauce....


You'll need:
10 soft taco shells (you can use any time, but I used cayenne pepper for extra spice)
2 cups of cooked, shredded chicken 
2 cups of shredded cheese (I use Mexican Cheese)
3 tablespoons of butter
3 tablespoons of flour
16 oz of chicken broth (low sodium for healthy heart!)
8 oz sour cream
4-6oz of diced green chilles 


Step-by-step:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease your favorite casserole pan.
2. Mix chicken and 1 cup of cheese.  Roll up in tortillas and place in pan.
3. In a sauce pan, melt butter, stir in flour and cook 1 minute until thick. Add the chicken broth and whisk to smooth.  Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly
4. Stir in sour cream and chiles.  Do NOT bring to boil, or your sour cream will curdle!  Just make it warm and tiny bubbles.
5. Pour the sauce over enchiladas and top with the remaining one cup of cheese
6. Bake 24 minutes, and then high broil for 3 minutes to brown the cheese


YUMMY!


Tip to perfectly shredding chicken: Put the warm/hot chicken in smaller pieces (size of chicken strips works) into your Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer with the cookie paddle attached.  Turn it onto speed 4-6 and in 30 seconds you will have restaurant style shredded chicken!  Chicken has to be warm before you shred it, or if it is cold (refrigerated) it can harm your mixer.


-Domesticated D


SOURCE:  Joyful Mommas Kitchen

2 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious, I think it is going to be on the dinner menu soon. BTW, what HEB did you get those Southwest Tortillas from? I used to get them when I lived in College Station and once I moved to Houston, the HEB we shop at doesn't carry them. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got them at the big HEB in Katy, but I know for sure I-10 and Bunker hill have them too!

    Also, the HEB in Spring used to have them, but I haven't gone to that location in 2+ years...

    ReplyDelete