Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Homemade Cheese-Itz

I love cheese-itz. They are such a yummy snack!  I found this recipe on Katrina's site!  I was in a bit of a rush, so my cheese-itz were not perfect (the squares were more of rectangles, and the dots on the middle are not centered) BUT they were still delicious! By the way, I wasn't rushing to do anything. I was rushing because I *REALLY* wanted to try them!

Yummy!
  

You'll need: 


·        8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated

·        4 Tablespoons of unsalted butter, room temperature

·        ½ teaspoon salt
·        1 cup flour
·        2 Tablespoons ice water
·        Coarse salt for sprinkling (if desired)


You will need to: 

1.   Combine cheese, butter, and salt in the bowl. It is recommended to use a paddle, but I don't have one, so I used the regular beaters. The mixture will be very crumbly.

2.   Slowly add flour and then the ice water. You may add a few more drops of water to help it come together but be careful not to add too much. You don’t want a wet dough.

3.   Pat the dough into 2 discs and wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes (or longer).
4.   Preheat oven to 375⁰F.
5.   Using parchment paper or a silicone mat roll each disc to 1/8 inch or less and cut into 1 inch squares (a pastry wheel or pizza wheel is easiest). Use a toothpick to punch a hole into the center of each square. Add coarse salt, if desired.
One of them looks like the state of Indiana :) 

6.   Bake for about 12 minutes or until puffed and browning around the edges. If you pull them out too soon and the crackers don’t have the desired crispiness you want then simply return them to the oven for 2-3 more minutes.
8.   Put crackers to a cooling rack. Or just gobble them up while burning your fingers. Not that I would do that. 

 Yummy!

I made mine thicker than suggested, but I recommend making them a bit thinner than mine!

-Domesticated Duchess




1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJuly 11, 2012

    Your recipe says, "Combine cheese, butter, shortening", but there is no shortening on the list of ingredients. Should there be shortening on the list and how much?

    ReplyDelete