A few things to note: This makes a lot of bites! About 60, so make sure you've got a big crowd! Another thing, make sure these are fresh and hot. I made the mistake of making these the night before and it lost a lot of flavor in 24 hours.
16 oz of macaroni
3 tablespoons of butter
4 tablespoons of flour
1 1/2 cups of milk
3 packed cups of shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
2 extra large egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of pepper (optional)
1/2 teaspoon of dry mustard powder (optional)
extra parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top (optional)
1. Cook pasta and drain well. Set aside
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
3. Spray a nonstick mini muffin pan, and set aside
4. In a large pan, melt butter on medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute
5. Add in the milk and bring to a boil, whisking frequently until very thick
6. Add cheddar and parmesan cheese and stir to melt.
7. Remove from heat and stir in the egg yolks, salt, nutmeg, and other optional spices. Stir in macaroni.
9. Bake for about 10 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes
10. Using a spoons, loosen the mac and cheese bite and transfer to platter to serve.