Saturday, January 5, 2013

Spinach and Cheese Bites!

I love spinach!  Even as a child, I would eat spinach quiche, creamed spinach, and pasta with spinach.  My parents thought it was a bit strange being that my two brothers detested spinach, but anyway - I've always had a love for spinach :)

This easy appetizer is perfect for a party, and is very yummy!  The best thing about it, is you can eat them more guilt free than your usually appetizer foods - like cream cheese poppers, or pepperoni bites.

I love party foods that is bite size, because it's less messy and people seem to enjoy them!  Plus, if you're like me, I like to try a lot of different snacks at a party and this way you can do it guilt free! 

A delicious way to get your veggies in!

You'll need:
2 packages of Phyllo cups (15 cups each) - these taste AWESOME and are low in calories
10 oz of chopped spinach, thawed and well drained    
1/2 cup of shredded cheese (I used Muenster, but you can use Feta for a more authentic greek flavor)
1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese
1 green onion (about 2 tablespoons)
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon softened cream cheese (optional)

Step-by-step:
1.  Put the phyllo cups on a baking sheet and bake per box directions (usually 3-5 minutes at 350)
2.  Once cooked remove from oven, and leave oven heat on.
3.  In a medium bowl, mix spinach, muenster (or feta) cheese, parmesan cheese, green onion, and garlic powder.  Mix together until well blended. 
4.  In each phyllo cup, put about 1 tablespoon of the spinach mix.
5.  Bake for about 5 minutes (temperature is on the package, but usually 350).
6   Serve warm!

NOTE:  Make sure to remove as much liquid as possible from the spinach before mixing in step 3.  If it's too wet, the cups will get soggy and gross.

Enjoy, Popeye!
-Marina

PS:  If you're looking for other ideas for a healthy appetizer, you should try my Guacamole!  So good, and guilt-free eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment