Sunday, October 9, 2011

Banana Bread-Cake!

My mom is a champion amongst banana bread bakers.  I had some very ripe (almost overly ripe) bananas that needed to be turned into a banana bread fast.  I looked in my folders for my mom's recipe and it wasn't there. I checked my drawer where I keep my cook books no luck. I picked up the phone to call her and ask for it, but before dialing I remembered she is on vacation for the next two weeks.   (I should have remembered earlier, since we are dog-sitting her golden retriever and Ben's best pup friend)


Back to the drawing board. I searched allrecipes.com until I found the recipe I wanted, tweaked it a bit (ok maybe a lot), and then got to work. The only tiny problem is that this is actually turned out to be a banana bread cake, rather than the standard banana bread. This is the first time I made this recipe and I'm sure glad I found it!  So good, and a great twist on such a staple in everyone's recipe box. I can't wait to share with my mom :)


One thing to note, is that this is more of a "cakey" banana bread, and not the moist, dense traditional banana bread


You'll need:

  • 1 to 1.5 cups of mashed bananas (this is 2-3 medium/large bananas)
  • 1 cup of sour cream (light works too!)
  • 1/2 stick of softened butter
  • 1/2 cup of white sugar
  • 3/4 cups of brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 2 cups of flour
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (if you really like cinnamon, you can put an extra 1/2 teaspoon!)
  • 1/4 teaspoon of salt
  • Optional Note: You can add nuts or chocolate chips to make this treat extra special! (1/2 cup should be plenty!)



Step-by-Step:


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease up one 9x13 inch pan
2. Combine mashed up banana and sour cream in a bowl, set aside
3. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth
4. Beat in eggs, then stir in vanilla and banana mixture
5. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Slowly blend into the banana mixture.
6. Spread the battre evenly into prepared pan
7. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean


Tip: After cooling for 30 minutes, wrap up the bread in foil to trap in the moisture!


As mentioned, this is my first time to make this recipe but if you want Banana Bread Muffins, I think you could use this recipe but bake for 25 minutes.


-Domesticated D





No comments:

Post a Comment